Thursday, July 26, 2012

Treading

Even though I backed off from trying to post so much, I still find it hard to make the time for my minimum weekly post. I've alsways told other people, "Making commitments isn't hard, keeping them is." So that's why I am here, to show you that I am. In starting, I found myself needing a title. I had just finished reading another blog and its related comments, the themes of which were focus, consistency, pacing and continuing-on. For me these attributes are intertwined and when I am content with how things are going that intertinement provides for me a satisfied, working well-being. Other times it seems as if everything is all tangled up and I wind up feeling like I am fighting myself. Now is one of those good periods, so "continuing" was the first idea for a title, but something else came back to me. About three years ago, I had been reading about Carl Jung's experience with the I-Ching. The seriousness that was emphasized in my readings appealed to me as I had several important issues going on, deep internal stuff, so when the text informed me about the imortance of the question to be asked, I took it seriously. I don't want to write an information piece, explaining the whole process, but I will say that the I-Ching is an ancient text, and is sometimes used for guidance in making decisions or as a source of insight, inspiration and wisdom. My interest concerned its involvement with synchornisty, specifiacally the use of reeds or coins, in a series of exercises which rely on chance. My question to the "process" had some reference to why I wasn't writing when I knew it was so important to me. I  recorded my findings and experiences over an extended period of time in a notebook somewhere (as if I needed more time consuming projects, I am certain I will embark on an exploratory mission to dig this up). The point to all this is that the vague answer that was revealed was a symbol with a rough translation meaning "treading." At the time this applied to other spects in my life, as well as my writing. It still does, and always will. Its substance for me is just putting that proverbial one foot in front of the other. The simple pleasures experienced while doing the one foot-deal expose themselves in unexpected ways, like now, having the memory of my I-Ching experience to take out and play with, and share with you. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

1 comment:

  1. There is a lot of good information in this, but I have to admit, at first glance I wouldn't want to read it. I can only surmise at my state of mind at the time, because when pressed for time, but needing to fulfill a commitment I will usually opt for less and neat, as opposed to much and sloppy.

    I remember thinking how cramped it looked, but wasn't aware of the grammar and spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete